There are some organising mistakes that I see people make over and over again. They might not seem that important but in actual fact these mistakes can have a significant impact on how you feel about your home.
#1 - Concentrating on the wrong thing
I’m sure you have all heard the term ‘spark joy’ by now. Now whilst I don’t subscribe to all of Marie Kondos’ teaching this is really a key point. Rather than concentrating on what you want to get rid of, focus instead on what you want to KEEP!
– Does this item add VALUE to my life?
– Does this item have a PURPOSE in my home?
– Does this item spark JOY?
By asking yourself these type of question you can really highlight what belongs in your home and what doesn’t.
# 2 - Buying organising products before decluttering
# 3 - Keeping things out of guilt
I want to stop you right there.
# 4 - Not plugging the clutter holes
Here are some examples you could utilise to keep the clutter out:
– Consider going on a shopping break or put in place a 30 day list (write items on a list rather than impulse buying)
– Talk to family and friends about trying to reduce the clutter in your home and give them ideas of how they might be able to help. e.g. looking after the kids whilst you declutter.
Moving forward have confidence in yourself and your decisions. Organising can be fun and it can be amazing way to clear out the clutter from your home. Just remember to concentrate on the right things!!